Sunday, December 19, 2010

Hand





There are a lot of misconceptions about me.  One in particular I really want to set straight.  I am thin.  I know this, my mom knows it, my husband knows it, my doctors know it, and for sure the Lord knows it.  Anyone who has sight knows it.  But being thin doesn't automatically equate to an eating disorder.  For the record, I eat.  I eat well.  And if you know me, you know how much I love food.  Here are two things I do not like: starving, and puking.

I've often wondered why it's ok for people to tell me I need to eat more, or explain to me just how thin I am.  Growing up I had complete strangers walk up to me and tell me if I came to their house they would fatten me right up.  What they were in fact saying was that they didn't think my mom was doing a good enough job.  Kids in middle school called me horrible names.  The comments and teasing I got about my weight growing up really messed with my self image.  And I carry much of it with me to this day.

Unfortunately because of a current medical issue, I have lost a significant amount of weight in the last few weeks.  So, I look skinnier then I usually do.  But don't fret, I am on it.

I guess my whole point in blogging about my weight is that I felt the need to try and quash some of the concerns, and just put it out there that what you say means something to others.  Don't assume that because someone isn't overweight that comments about their weight don't matter - because I promise you, they do.

How did what others say about you when you were young impact how you see yourself today?

No comments: